
I decided to do an end of summer wrap-up instead of seperate posts. This was my garden this year. Tons of green beans, a few peas, enough yellow squash, 1 lemon cucumber, a few green cucumbers, corn that didn't grow, a pumpkin plant that didn't ever produce, and tomatoes that are still trying their hardest to ripen on the vine. Not my best crop ever but thankfully I am a green bean fan and those worked so I won't complain too much. Oh! I also grew 3 heads of cauliflower for the first time. They tasted more like brussel sprouts than cauliflower but I like those too so it was ok. Those were my crowning achievement in the garden this summer!


We also picked and processed a ton of fruit, starting in June with strawberries. 10 pints of jam, 2 gallon bags frozen, 4 pints of raspberry jam and 2 obscure fresh raspberry desserts, 3 gallon bags frozen blueberries, 6 pints boysenberry jelly, 7 quarts canned peaches, 6 pies, and a cobbler, 2 gallon bags frozen green beans, and 19 quarts of applesauce, 2 gallon bags of dried apples and 2 pies. I believe that covers it. I love the fresh produce and picking but when I get all that fruit home I have to ask myself just what the heck I was thinking. Tons of work! Its fun to get the kids involved though and they are always willing pickers.

Mason experienced his first, and second, bee stings. He was watching tv and started screaming and ripping at his shirt. I pulled it off and sure enough a yellow jacket got him twice on the neck. We caught the bee and observed him under the jar. We also observed Mason to check for signs of being allergic to bees but luckily he wasn't. We seemed to have tons of bees in the back yard this summer. Enough that the kids stopped using the pool in August because of all the bees flying around and landing on the pool. Good for my garden though, I guess.

We took our annual camping trip to Cape Disappointment and the Kite Festival in August. My sister Samantha and her family joined us, along with another niece and nephew. They were great babysitters! They kept my kids entertained the entire time. It was an eye opener for me the first evening at the ocean. All of a sudden I had 4 able boddies all trying to do their own thing! No one was in a stroller and I admit I was a bit stressed trying to make sure they were all safe and not going too far out. Bree, Darcy, and Mason all went down in the surf at one time or another but I am happy to say we made it home will all 4 kids!

We had a great time playing with cousins, visiting Fort Stevens, eating at Dairy Queen (an extremely rare treat), seeing all the kites in the air, and of course, my reason for making the trip: Elephant Ears! YUM!

We were able to squeeze a trip to the zoo in the week before school started. That's always a good time, but once again, 4 bodies to manage running around in public. Heaven help me! This is one of those rare and elusive photos of all 4 kids actually looking at, and even smiling at the camera at the same time!
We also spent a day on the Columbia River with Paul's family. His sister Carmen has a boat which ferried us all over to our own private beach where we visited, swam, and ate! It was a great time. I was able to cross everything off my to-do list for the summer. Next summer we will add swimming lessons for 3 kids, probably another road trip, and of course more camping here and there. We love summertime!
No comments:
Post a Comment