Thursday, June 6, 2013

All About Mason

Mason turned 7 in May.  That meant his first friend birthday party and he decided to invite all his friends from his class at church.  I was hoping for a warm, sunny day so they could play outside the whole time, but instead it was cold and wet.  I didn't have any games planned and I was worried if we could find enough to do for 1.5 hours but the kids took care of it themselves.  They played here, there, and everywhere the whole time without any interference from me, except to direct them to the decorate-yourself cupcakes and the pinata.  It was a very different party than Drew's 7th, which was 4 QUIET little girls who were more than happy to have me tell them what to do the entire time.  That was a much more stressful party than the 5 exuberant kids at Mason's.  He had a great time playing with friends and collecting lots of candy from the Angry Birds pinata.  He had a great day and was thankful for all the friends and fun gifts he received.


Since we had lots of cupcakes at his birthday party, two days later on his real birthday we celebrated with ice cream sundaes.  I never buy the whipped cream in a can so he was probably as excited about that as he was for his gifts.  He got a Lego helicopter, a game to play on our trip, and walkie talkies which Paul and I need to communicate when he is backing up the trailer but we gave them to Mason for a gift and we will just "borrow" them.  Its hard to believe my little guy isn't so little anymore.  He is a quarter of an inch shorter than Drew now and I bet will soon pass her up.  He is full of energy, developed into a really good reader over the past year, starts most conversations with "what if" (at which point its hard not to tune him out), wakes up every morning before 6 am (ugh!) and just goes, goes, goes till we force him to bed at night.  He is my sweetheart and I love this guy more than I can express.  He is a challenge and a blessing all rolled into one.  I'm a lucky mom !
 Mase played Farm baseball this season, which is player/coach pitch.  He only played one year of T-Ball but he was way too big to play this year and I didn't think he'd get much out of it so we convinced the powers that be to let him play Farm.  It was a struggle in the beginning of the season but by the end he was holding his own.  He was pretty good on defense, not many balls rolled past him, and he worked hard on improving his hitting.  He actually ended the season for the team with a base hit.  Nice way to go out Mason!  We sat through a few freezing, wet games, but it was mostly a good time as observers.  I think Bree and Darcy deserve gold medals for having to sit through a million basketball and baseball practices and games this year.  Those girls sure were troopers.  I was secretly hoping before the season started that he would hate baseball and this would be our last year of it, but he loves it and wants to play again next year, and Drew also caught the bug and would like to try softball.  I'll just enjoy the five minutes of down time I can catch whenever I can I guess.  Probably no turning back from busy, busy, busy now.  At least it isn't soccer and cheerleading!




No comments: