Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July Weekend

This 4th of July we had Paul home! What a treat. The last 3 years he was working the graveyard shift and missed the festivities. It was fun to have him home, even though we didn't do anything thrilling. That morning I headed out to Sauvie Island to pick blueberries and raspberries, with the intent of being there at 8am when the farm opened for business. Well, 8am on Sauvie Island on the 4th of July puts you smack dab in the middle of a marathon. I had to drive completely around the island, through a mass of running and walking bodies. It took me about 40 minutes to get to the farm once I got on the island! Argh. The berries were worth it though. I made raspberry jam, a raspberry dessert for the next day, and ate and froze a bunch of blueberries.

We lit our own fireworks in the street and Drew and Mason seemed to enjoy it. I am not impressed with what Oregon will allow as fireworks. I grew up in Washington with Roman Candles and Saturn Missles and trips to the reservation for the good illegal ones. Ahhhh, those were the days. Paul kept stacking the used boxes on top of each other so we had quite the tower in the end, which made the show a bit more interesting with sparks raining down onto the road from high atop the stack. By that point Drew was getting a bit leery and asked if she could go inside.





The 5th of July we went to the blessing of my new niece Kennedy, who was born on June 3rd. What a cutie. We had a good time visiting with family and eating my raspberry dessert! Here are Ruqayyah, Kennedy, and Darcy - all born within 11 months of each other. Darcy looks HUGE compared to her cousins.



The 6th of July is my birthday! Happy birthday to me! I was hoping since Darcy's birthday is the 8th mine might get passed by this year but no such luck. Drew made me a lovely pipe-cleaner tiara to wear for the party, and we ate my very favorite dessert, Angel Delight. Angel food cake, melted chocolate chips, whipped cream, and egg whites all mixed together. Heaven in a bowl!





I got a leather-bound pocket guide to the National Parks, which is just what I need for our road trips! Try to read the comic Paul wrapped it in. It is exactly our life.



I also received Rock Band for our Xbox. Mason loves the guitar and Drew likes the drums. That usually meant I was singing. Not so good. Luckily this game rewards you for being loud and screechy, right up my alley. The game is fun but I can see where A LOT of time can be wasted on it.







In honor of my birthday I asked Drew and Mason a couple questions about me. I also asked Darcy but she just clapped so I guess that means she likes me?
How old am I?
Drew - 36 (she said 56 the day before)
Mason - 20 (thanks sweetheart!)
What is my favorite thing to do?
D - help kids
M - put sauce on it (HA! this kids is so insightful!)
What is my name?
D - Tiffiny
M - momma
Favorite color?
D - Pink
M - Blue (I'll say they are both right)
Favorite Animal?
D - Elephant
M - Giraffe (I thought this would be an easy one - Hippo! Drew inherited my many stuffed hippos so I was surprised she missed it)
What do I do that makes you happy?
D - Play on the computer
M - Give pirate toys
What do I do that makes me happy?
D - Snuggle
M - Eat Fire Chips (Doritos - I think he was confused, he's the one who likes them)
What makes me sad?
D - kids not listening
M - birthday cake (like I said, what an insightful guy!)
We are gearing up for Darcy's first birthday party at my parents' house this weekend. We could have close to 50 people if everyone from both sides of the family show up. Me stressed? Nah.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Happy belated birthday! I love your kids' answers to your questions, too cute.Also, your dessert choice sounds wonderful, could you share the recipe?