Tuesday, October 6, 2009

FRUSTRATION!

For the past 4+ weeks I have been SUFFERING through a horrible rash. I contemplated posting pictures but decided no one really wants to see that. Just picture your entire upper body (neck and arms included) broken out in such a dense, red rash that it looks like the worst sun burn of your life. That was me. Now imagine the worst itching you have ever experienced, multiply it by ten, and the fact that there is no satisfying the itch, and there you have my life for the past month. AHHHHHH!!!!! My OB scared the life out of me by suggesting it was my liver malfunctioning, which can lead to serious complications or even stillbirth. So for a week I was freaking out about it, waiting for the call from my doctor on my blood test, until I had finally had enough and called them to find out the results, which were thankfully negative. But I still itched! I saw a dermatologist who took a look at me for 2 seconds, wouldn't listen to a word I had to say, and diagnosed it as being allergic to something I wasn't allergic to before. Use this expensive lotion, throw out all products at home and get all new stuff. And use this steroid cream even though you are pregnant. Can you tell I am not thrilled with my doctors at this point? I left his office sobbing. I went to Wal Mart to get the prescription filled, sat there for 45 minutes, asked 3 times if it was ready, and finally a lady pokes her head around the corner, "Oh, didn't anyone tell you? We don't have enough of the product so we have to order more. Come back tomorrow." AHHHHHHH!!!!!! I left the store sobbing. The next day I finally got my prescription at 4 and the pharmacist practically screamed at me not to use the product because I am pregnant. I left the store sobbing once again. After a call to my OB's office and my sister who had been on steroids her whole pregnancy, I felt that I could safely use the product if I use it sparingly. That night though, I gave Benadryl a try to see if it really was an allergic reaction. Nope! I woke up itching and sobbing for 2.5 hours because I couldn't get back to sleep. That was par for the course for many nights actually. For the past 3 days now I have been using the ointment and the major redness has gone away but the underlying itch is still there. I don't know what happens when I stop using the ointment, hopefully soon, but I do know I can't survive 17 more weeks of this horror. My poor kids and husband already had to deal with a cranky pregnant mom/wife, and this has just been a hundred times worse. Sorry guys! And I have been a hermit, much more than usual ;), because I can't move without wanting to rip my skin off and run screaming away! Hopefully things will settle down now that the major rash is being taken care of. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I will gladly listen to them. They ruled out the most common pregnancy rash, PUPPP, so we have no idea what this is. Hopefully this too shall pass and I can look back and laugh about it (yah right) but I wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh Tiffiny ... I am soooooooo sorry! I can only imgagine how awful that has been. I wish I had a magic answer for you. I hope hope hope that the ointment will take care of it, and that whatever it is will go away and not come back!!! Let me know if you need any help with you little ones ... if you're in a scratching fit and need to cry alone for a while I'm only a phonecall away!

Paige said...

Oh my gosh. You poor thing. I can't EVEN imagine how horrible that must be. If you ever need anything, let me know.

Jodi said...

What the heck?! That is SO bizarre! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this...especially while pregnant. UGH. I would be happy to watch the kids for any doc appts or if you just need a rest. Call me.

Aundrea said...

I can't believe you've been going through it for a month!! Itching is so annoying, and the rash too, plus being pregnant...you have every right to be grouchy:) I hope someone has an ah-ha moment and can give you some answers soon! Nalani was begging to have a play-date with Drew when I went to pick up the carpet cleaner. We can have them all over to play, let me know!

Shannon b said...

Tiffiny, that is horrendous! so, so sorry you have to deal with this, and while pregant. I HATE the feeling of being in pain/discomfort without any real end or relief in sight. I know it can drive you crazy (I've been there - sobbing at the pharmacy).
Your kids are always welcome down here. Our days are pretty low-key so give me a call!

Gina said...

I hope you can get it figured out soon. Walmart is the worst place to get prescriptions filled - takes forever and the pharmacists aren't very friendly. You should switch to Rite Aid - you almost always have your prescription in hand within 10-15 minutes. Their pharmacists are much easier to deal with.

Michelle said...

Tiffiny, I am so sorry for you! What a rotten thing to have to deal with! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed it all goes away soon. Hang in there!

Rochelle said...

I have heard also that walmart is not the place for prescriptions.
Pregnancy can be hard enough without a rash and itching. I'm feeling for ya. Hang in there.

Nicole said...

Man alive Tiffiny that's horrible!!! I remember having bad sunburns when I was younger and rolling around shirtless on the floor, scraping my body against the carpet in tears. I can imagine the pain and frustration you must be feeling now. I'm so sorry!