Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is one of our favorite holidays. We love to decorate and usher in the next few months of too much candy, commercialism, and "I WANT THAT!" This year Drew and I found a picture of a jellyfish in a magazine for creating your own "easy" costumes. I'm sure it would have been easy if I had made it without 3 kids all over me trying to be helpers, all while suffering through the worst of my itchy rash. That's what made it fun though! After all the money and time spent on it I vow never to make another one. Whatever Wal Mart may charge is money well spent in my book. It turned out cute though and she got lots of comments on it, including "what are you supposed to be? Strawberry shortcake?" Come on people! Mason's Darth Vader outfit held out, through 2 months of constantly adorning his body, night and day. I was afraid it just might not last but the costume made it and I told him he could wear it to shreds now if he wanted to. He hasn't put it on since Halloween! Darcy was a cozy little monkey with the cutest tail but she chose to sit in her stroller all night so no one got to see it. For the first time we dropped in on Trunk-or-Treat at the church. I always thought the kids were more interested in the fun of knocking on doors and not so much the candy but I was wrong. They have been stuffing their little bodies with candy every time I turn around. I don't put restrictions on it, when its gone, its gone, which it looks like tomorrow will be the last of it, but I do make sure they scrub those little teeth. I have to keep up my illusion of being a good mom. Mason tired out and skipped the last few doors Drew was still knocking on as we made our way home to an empty bowl of candy on the front porch. We had to break out the good candy bars for those who came a little later. I was hoping to save the chocolate for myself.

Here are our creations. Both our pumpkin masterpieces and our beautiful children! Check out Darcy, she looks like she just saw a ghost!

This is my guy. I was going for Darcy's favorite new expression, open mouthed and wide eyed at a new discovery, but he looked more like he needed to vomit so I obliged.

Here is our family represented in pumpkins. And if you ask Drew, the one I carved looks like me lately, always with my mouth open yelling at my kids.

Getting ready to carve! When I grew up we had one pumpkin and my dad always did the carving. I'm starting to think that isn't such a bad idea.

And of course the annual "painting" of the cookies. Mason downed them as fast as we could get them frosted. That is one of my favorite parts, making cookies.


On another note, it seems we have made it through the first wave of sickness hitting our friends. I don't know how that's possible but I am extremely grateful. All three kids have had a cough but that's as bad as it got. Last Friday I took the kids to the health center to hopefully get us all an H1N1 shot, and I was assured as I filled out the paperwork that there would still be shots left. We stood in line for 35 minutes, in the cold and wet, and they finally told us they were out. Gee thanks. I was more than frustrated because of the able bodied men I had watched get their shots in front of a pregnant woman with 3 kids under 5, the highest risk groups. They said they were supposed to get more in 2 weeks so if we are still healthy by that time I will probably try it again. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What a fun mom you are. Way to go on making the jellyfish, carving those pumpkins, making those cookies and making sure those sugar coated teeth get brushed! You are AWESOME! I too am ever so grateful our family is well...knock on wood.

Michelle said...

I LOVE Drew's costume! And the barfing pumpkin, too cute! We are also keeping our fingers crossed that we can avoid the sickness, so far so good.

Jodi said...

Drew's costume was so creative and cute! And I love the barfing pumpkin...you've got some skills girl!!

Natalee said...

There is no illusion about it...You are the best mom in the world!

Loved all the pictures and your pumpkins looked great! It was all I could do to pull off our party...let alone carve pumpkins. We let Cyd do one, and then I forgot to light it up! I am the one who sucks as a mom!

Love ya!

The M Family said...

Loved the Jellyfish costume! How smart and creative. Your kids are so CUTE! Bummed that you guys didn't get the shot....that is not fair!!! Just do what I do: take a bath every night in hand sanitizer(just kidding), avoid shaking anybody's hands, and carry Chlorox wipes everywhere! ha. Somehow we have managed to avoid it so far too....crossing fingers. So excited you are going to have another one!