Mason's new obsession: Rolly Pollies. Mason has discovered that rolly pollies love to live in wood chips. And wouldn't you know it, we have a great big pile of wood chips in our side yard which is a haven for our rolly pollies! How lucky can one 4 year old boy get? He comes away from that pile with his hands full of the things. As part of his birthday science kit he got a bug collecting system and observatory. That green thing in the picture is the bottom of it. I don't know how many poor little rolly pollies, both alive and dead, I have set free from that thing after Mason goes to bed at night. He makes swimming pools for them, though I have discovered they can't swim. I told him they drown but he swears they are just sleeping, probably after having such a good swim. This carboard concoction is his rolly polly castle, made from the cardboard that came with my new vacuum. And can I just digress for a minute to admit that my new vacuum with a see-through dirt canister both thrills and disgusts me. I love to see all the dirt and dust we vacuum up each time, but it is so gross that there is that much dirt and dust to vacuum up each time! The kids love to see it too, which brings on fights over who gets to use the new vacuum, which makes my life a little easier so I won't complain. But it is gross just how much junk is in my carpets. Anyway, at the time this picture was taken there were 11 bugs crawling around. I try not to get "bugged" by it all but their little flailing legs when they are stranded on their backs kind of freak me out. Thank goodness I was never a 4 year old boy or I would have failed the bug test.
3 comments:
I love those "boy" moments! And I'm sure he's right, they're just sleeping. LOL
He is such a sweet boy and has an inventive mind like Joseph does. it will take him far when it comes to those silly creative writing papers they have to do in school. Now if you could help the rolly pollies survive their adventure with him that would be fantastic. My boys love the rolly polly fuzzy caterpillers. We've lost a few of those along the way too, so don't feel bad. Heavenly Father gave them an intentional short life span for a reason...yep, little boys!!!
oh, welcome to my world my friend :) my boys are both quite the bug lovers too ... and it took me a while to get used to the fact that insects were now a part of my life whether I liked it or not! and I actually remember collecting rolly pollies myself when I was a little girl! I loved those fuzzy little guys ... and some of them lived quite a while, too! but I never tried to take them swimming ;)
Post a Comment