Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! This year Drew started 4th grade, Mason is in 2nd, and my little Darcy started kindergarten! The month between returning home from our trip until school started was kind of tough to adjust to. There wasn't a routine to go back to since we left before school got out, so it felt like we were just kind of hanging out and waiting for school to start so we could have our new normal. Drew and Mason started out well. No surprise there. Drew was a bit miffed in the beginning because the math was so easy but after I attended the parent's curriculum night I think Drew will be in for an exciting, challenging year full of growth. I love the new vistas opening up to her as she gets older. No more ABC's and adding and subtracting. I'm excited to watch her learn this year. Mason is doing great like always. He doesn't get down or complain about much. He's pretty easy going. He had a kid throw a chair in class early in the year and totally forgot all about the brew-ha-ha it caused in his class till I asked him about it after reading the note sent home to parents. He just goes about his business and I love that about him. Its also exciting to watch him learn. He is a great reader and I LOVE catching him reading a book at home instead of computer games or watching tv. I love that he loves to read. Drew too, she just finished the Hobbit and is now reading the Little House on the Prairie series. I love having conversations with my kids about books and ideas. Too much fun!
Darcy's first day was OK I think. I cried pretty much the whole way home after I dropped her off. My anxiety over her anxiety was out in force that day. Her anxiety had been working up to the first day of school and I knew it wasn't going to be easy. She was having trouble letting me go running again in the evenings and she stuck by my side like glue for weeks. She probably went the first 3 weeks with tears in her eyes as we parted from each other but she is good to go now. As long as we give lots of kisses and hugs and I love you's at the drop off. She is doing great in her school work too. Every day she tries to be the Superstar, where she gets 2 skittles at the end of the day instead of one for being so well behaved and on task. And the little sweetheart always shares her skittles with me. Even on a day where she isn't a Superstar we will take turns eating the one skittle she gets. Its all warm and sticky from being held in her germy little hand, but I never refuse. She is so kind hearted, I don't want to upset her. She is getting the routine down and I think she is going so excel at this school business. She just has to convince herself its OK to do it without mommy constantly by her side. She is reading the Bob Books at home and is in the stage where she and I have to sound out just about everything and I have to spell everything to her. Kind of an annoying stage I'll admit as a parent but I know its a short one and it leads to reading! I'm very proud of Darcy and her strength once again.
Bree got a princess backpack this year and for days wore it waiting for her first day of school. Sorry sweetheart, I'm not ready to give you up yet. She's only 3 so she has to wait another year till I will put her in preschool. She wants nothing more than to be big like her siblings, but she also likes a warm, extended snuggle with mom. I'll hold on to that for as long as I can!


No comments:
Post a Comment