Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Preschool, First, Third, and Fifth


Since its almost Christmas I figured I should write about the first day of school for the kids.  They were all excited to go back to school and I was excited for them too!  This year with Bree starting preschool it meant I got 3 mornings a week to myself.  I wasn't quite sure how I was going to feel being home alone so much but I'm used to it now.  Actually, I rarely am home alone all that time.  I keep Monday open for me, doctor appointments, grocery shopping, etc.  Tuesday I volunteer at the grade school as soon as I drop Bree off for school, until I have to pick her up.  Wednesdays I use for Bree's parties at her school and the meetings involved.  Otherwise that is a me day too.  I love having time to myself but I'm thinking next year when Bree is in kindergarten full-time I will be looking for employment.

Anyway, Darcy started first grade this year.  She is doing very well with her reading and math and she received an award for Outstanding Work at the end of the quarter assembly a few weeks ago.  She is an advanced reader, which means bringing home AR books and then taking tests on them at school the next day.  For some reason this has really tripped her up.  She cries and cries about how she doesn't like the books but I keep thinking there is something else going on with her because who cries about books?  So far we haven't figured out what the real cause is, unless it really is the books, but I'm getting tired of the tears and the failed tests she deliberately sabotages.  Other than that, she enjoys school and has fun carrying her Little Pony lunch box to school in her Little Pony backpack every day.  The one thing I will say I don't enjoy is that Darcy brings home assigned math homework EVERY DAY.  Its that darn common core junk and it takes forever now to add two plus two.  Now we have to talk about it, and draw pictures about it, and explain it, and blah, blah, blah. I wouldn't even know how to do the work if it wasn't for the example sheet the teacher sends home with it. I tell you, common core math will be the death of me!

Mason started third grade and as far as I can tell he likes it.  He isn't one to get worked up about things, unless someone steals his stuff on Minecraft and then watch out, so he does what is required of him.  He is a good student and I am happy to say he causes me very little trouble.  Hopefully his teacher says the same.

Drew is in 5th grade and boy is it a change from 4th!  She has homework galore!  Its good for her though.  She is learning time management  and also patience with her mom as I try to remember the pre-algebra stuff she is learning.  She is also in an advanced reading group and math group where essentially 6 kids are teaching themselves algebra in a group.  Whatever works I guess.  I am just glad she is being challenged this year and I'm thrilled to see she is up to the task.  She received one of the coveted "Pride" cards (whatever that means) that 5th and 6th graders can earn, and she also received an award for Outstanding work at the assembly.  I am proud of my smarty pants kids!
Bree started preschool this fall, three days a week for three hours a day.  I will admit there were some free flowing tears the day I dropped her off for the first time.  I had no idea what to do with myself that first three hours.  I have since learned to take advantage of it but it was kind of tough to adjust in the beginning.  Bree LOVES school.  All she wants is to be like the big kids and going to school means she is a big kid!  She always has stories of the kids in her class and a running total everyday of how many friends she has now.  She loves to learn and thankfully will be reading soon.  I think the learning to read stage ranks right up there with potty training on the most annoying parts of parenting scale.  I can't wait till she and Darcy have it down pat so we can move on!  I really am proud of them though, and it looks like Bree is just as smart as her big siblings.  I think we are in for a good year!

No comments: