Week 7! Holy cow, I
can’t believe this is almost over. I’m
getting a bit testy and I’m not sure if it’s because I don’t want this trip to
end and its getting so close, or tooth pain, or too much family togetherness, or
what, but today I was a bit cranky. I
think I’m feeling stressed about everything I/we have to do when we get home to
get people ready for sports and school and work. I wish we could be on the road forever and
leave the real world behind.






Monday, we drove a long haul across Iowa, saw the Winter Quarters Temple and Visitor Center, which we had never seen before, and ate lunch there before a huge group of kids was expected to show up. From Texas maybe? Thankfully we missed them. I liked that place though. It was nice to fill in the middle part of the story of the pioneers between leaving Nauvoo and arriving in Salt Lake City. The things they endured are hard to believe as I travel in my cushy SUV with AC and a box full of treats in the back seat. We drove through quite a bit of Nebraska before we called it a day and found a place which happened to have a pool for the kids. Nice way to end the long day.

The next morning on our way out of Nebraska, we found an
authentic Pony Express station in Gothenburg.
It was pretty cool. I even bought
a book on the history of the Pony Express to break the monotony of some of the
roads we traveled. We also made a quick stop at TD Ameritrade Park, where the Beavs won the College World Series in 2018. Go Beavs! We arrived at our
camp site outside of Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, dropped the
trailer, got the second oil change of the trip, and went to The University of Colorado
in Boulder. That was a neat campus and
town. The buildings are all very close
together so it would be a snap to get from one class to the other. Bree has added Colorado to her list of maybes
for college, along with Oregon State, Michigan, and U of Arizona. They all sound good to me! I’d visit her at any of those places. I have now seen 10 of the Pac-12
universities, only missing WSU and USC.
Next trip!


Bree was assigned Colorado to research before the trip and she found a ton of things for us to see. We were actually unsure if we’d make it to Colorado with enough time to see things, and had considered skipping it and making it another 2 week road trip next summer, but we found we had time so we followed Bree’s advice and went to Rocky Mountain National Park. Amazing! Drew, Paul and I had been to the west entrance 14 years ago but it was closed due to snow so we saw nothing of the park that time. We saw it all this time! We drove the Trail Ridge Road which climbed to over 12,000 feet in elevation. We were over two miles above sea level! How crazy. We were so high we were above the tree line in the tundra. So cool. I love weird stuff like that. We saw so many elk, about 10 long horn sheep on a cliff’s face playing and climbing, and moose! We were so excited! At first we saw a mom and her baby, and then later in the day we saw two females grazing by the river. So darn cool. We have seen some amazing wildlife this trip. The first night in Colorado I was taking the cover off the water hookup at our camp site and there was a big brown snake hiding underneath, who slithered into the pit where the water hook-up was. Snakes don’t bother me all that much, unless they sneak up on me when I’m not expecting it. Like then. I took a picture and sent it to Drew and told her it was her turn to hook up the water. Paul finally got him out of the pit and life moved on, but I was on the lookout after that for wildlife in the camp. Thankfully we didn’t have any more run-ins with creepy-crawlies. Wait! That’s not true! Mason was eating breakfast when he freaked out over a HUGE black spider in the corner of our trailer. It was HUGE. And spiders don’t bother me much but the thought of the crunch when that guy was squished made me turn the privilege over to Paul, once again. Gross. I hope he wasn’t a passenger with us for long and then just decided to come out to play. And I guess I can’t forget to mention Bree being stung in the leg because her brother threw rocks at a wasps nest by the river there. But anyway, Rocky Mountain National Park was a winner. I’ll list that with my favorites, though my list has about 20 parks on it already! I was able to catch up with all the laundry at our site, hoping the next time I have to do it is at home. Sigh.



We headed south the next morning and made a visit to the Red
Rocks Amphitheater. That was a neat
place, too. Unfortunately, the concert
that evening was Weird Al Yankovic so we moved on, as none of us are huge fans.
😊 I was happy to get back to enjoying colorful
rocks and formations. The east was
incredible with its own unique natural formations, but I guess I’m mostly used
to the dry, dusty, rock formations of the west.
And that’s what we found at Red Rocks and Garden of the Gods. We finished off the day at Great Sand Dunes National
Park, which happened to be quite awesome, too.
The way the wide-open scrub brush prairie met the creek, which met the dunes,
which met the mountains, which met the vast expanse of everchanging sky was
incredible to witness. Such a neat place. We climbed a bit of the dunes but to get to
the top would have been quite an undertaking for our calf muscles so we just
played at a lower level. The sand was
very soft and I think the youngest three like the creek most of all. They are always drawn to the water no matter
where we are. Its like a magnet to them. I think that makes 39 national parks I have
visited out of 61. We are hoping to see
Black Canyon of the Gunnison on our way out of Colorado and that is a new one
for me too, so I’ll be stuck at 40. The
others I have left are in the outer-reaches of Alaska, Minnesota, Michigan, etc. I think I’ve hit all the “easy” ones. Now we’ll have to take some hard-core trips
to get the rest. They keep adding parks
so I fear I will never see them all. But
then I fear having seen them all, what I would do with myself after that.



Today, Friday August 2nd, we headed west to make it
to Cortez, CO, with the hopes of visiting Mesa Verde National Park nearby. We crossed the Continental Divide at Wolf
Creek Pass at an elevation of 10857 feet.
That was a haul! Our brakes were
smoking as we made it the bottom on the other side. The most stressful part of any of our road
trips is the crossing of the Rocky Mountains.
They are just darn steep going up and coming down. Its always a worry that the machinery is
going to make it safely. Speaking of
machinery making it safely, we have been so blessed to have such a safe trip
this time. Our last trip we suffered
through 3 breakdowns and ruined wheel wells and flat tires on the trailer. Thankfully (knock-on-wood) we haven’t had any
mechanical issues this time. It has been
so nice to not have to worry like that.
Anyway, while at the top of the pass we found the Continental Divide Scenic
Trail, the longest in the US, so of course I had to walk a bit on it. No one else joined me so I am the
coolest. I walked the Appalachian and Continental
Divide trails on the same trip! Maybe I
should find a spot on the Pacific Crest Trail before we get home for the trifecta!

After we made it down safely with slightly smoking breaks,
we stopped by Chimney Rock National Monument but it was unimpressive and required
buying a tour so we took our picture with the sign, bought a magnet, and were
off to Cortez. We dropped the trailer at
camp and headed to the Mesa Verde Visitor Center where we learned the Spruce
Tree House, which Paul, Drew, and I saw last time, was no longer a self-guided
visit. In fact, you can’t visit it
anymore because of loose rock or something, I didn’t quite listen to the ranger
as I was disappointed we couldn’t see it again.
So now there are no self-guided places to see, you have to pay for a
tour. Well, since we got there in the afternoon
there were no more tours available for the day so the first tour that would accommodate
all 6 of us without having to scale the open cliff face on a hundred-foot ladder
is tomorrow at 11:30. We were hoping to
get the visit in today and leave in the morning but like I tell the kids, don’t
listen to anything I say about what we are doing because it is such a fluid
situation that what a think is going to happen on any given day rarely works
out exactly as planned. We bought
tickets for tomorrow’s tour, which still includes scaling a very large ladder,
just not along an open cliff face, and headed towards 4 Corners. We had all been there before but we decided
adding three more stickers to our trailer map would be a good thing. And we don’t sit very well, just hanging out
in the trailer, so we headed even farther south. Its an OK place. Kind of cool to be in 4 states at once. The Marvel marathon is continuing as I write
this tonight. I’m pretty sure we’ll be
home before they can watch them all. It
now looks like we’ll be home Tuesday maybe?
We’ll see. I don’t like to think
about it!
Before I forget, I need to list what our jobs are on the
trip. Paul has driven the lion’s share
of the trip. I do some small stuff here and
there but it’s without the trailer. I
only drove it that once in Montana for a few hours. He is an incredible driver! He can fit the trailer into the most
complicated of places on the first try.
I’ve heard a few compliments on his abilities as I am outside the vehicle
with my walkie-talkie helping him to back up. Paul has an app that checks our level, and if
we need to adjust it Mason and I set the blocks to lift the trailer just
right. Then we set the chock blocks. Paul and Mason each take a side and disconnect
all the bars, chains, pins, and electric components near them, while I hook up
the electricity and water. My very next
step is usually to use the restroom and then turn on the AC to get the trailer
cooling down. Paul and Mason continue to
put the jacks down and stabilize the trailer.
Drew then climbs out of the air-conditioned-Wi-Fi’ed Expedition, and she
is in charge of extending the two slide-outs on the trailer. She is much more observant than the rest of
us for things that may get in the way of the slides. About that time, I’m getting my stuff out of my
seat of the car to take into the trailer and Darcy is asking if the trailer is FINALLY
ready to go into. Its really tough being
an 11 year old who has been given everything in life. Bree usually hops out when we stop and
explores our area, and usually asks if she can help, but she doesn’t really
have an assigned job either. I also
gather all the garbage from the day. I
assigned the task a couple of times earlier in the trip but no one cleans it as
thoroughly as I do so I just do it. If
only I wasn’t such a stickler! Everyone
helps with getting the table set and cleared, on the days I actually do make dinner,
or fending for themselves which happens more often than I like to admit. If I never see another pizza pocket it will
be too soon! I clean the bathroom and
sweeping gets passed off to Drew or once Darcy, but mostly I do that too. And I stock the car with water bottles for
the next day’s adventures. When we leave,
we all do the same tasks in reverse. Mason is also in charge of backing up Paul to get
the ball and hitch together. Glad its
him and not me! It’s a pretty good system and 3 of us are doing a final check before
we pull out of a site. So far nothing
has been left behind or undone. We have
it down to a science! Oh! The thrill of Mason’s life is happening on
this trip. Paul allows him to pull the
car forward once its unhitched. He
thinks he’s driving but really he’s mostly just rolling 😊 He did, however, drive about 100 yards in
Nebraska at a wide open space at our campsite.
Big thrills, I tell you!
P.S. It’s now Saturday night and I didn’t get this posted yesterday so I’ll add today’s excitement. We got up early, hitched up the trailer, got to Mesa Verde, unhitched the trailer in their lot since tow vehicles aren’t allowed on the road, and then made our way up the winding cliff face drive. It had some beautiful views of the valley below and the neighboring mountains. We haven’t found an ugly part of Colorado yet! Once on top of the mesa, we were able to view different Puebloan cliff dwellings. We saw so much more than we did when it was just Paul, Drew, and I. We could have spent all day there had we not already made plans to be right outside Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP tonight. Our tour of Cliff Palace was amazing! There were a few ladders and uneven stairs but the trail wasn’t nearly as strenuous as they advertised it to be. It was so cool. We were able to be in the dwelling itself, with a fun Park Ranger who filled us full of information on the Puebloan people who lived there. I am so impressed with our National Parks system. Every park has its own character and incredible things to see. There have been some less impressive than others, but they all seem to have their “Ah Ha!” moment when you know you are someplace special. Mesa Verde is just one big moment like that. It’s a place you could go back to and see and experience different things each time. I highly recommend it! This park stays on my top 20 list!




Since we planned to head north from Mesa Verde we were stuck
choosing between a curvy, high elevation road, versus an even curvier, higher
elevation road to get there. We chose
the curviest of course! It was
incredibly beautiful! It was 100 miles and
took us hours to traverse because it was so steep and curvy on the climb that
we went about 25 mph, and even slower on the way down, with many stops at
pull-outs to let people pass and to give our stressed out brakes a rest. It was a beautiful drive but I might have
appreciated it more from a car. But I’ll
add it to the list of crazy road trip memories we like to create. Its never as fun if you just stick to the
freeways and do it the easy way. Tonight
we are camped in Montrose, CO, where we’ll get up early tomorrow and see Black
Canyon of the Gunnison NP, and then get back here to hitch up the trailer and
head west for good. NOOOOO!!!!!
Things I learned on the road this week:
1. Iowa and Illinois are covered with corn and soybean fields, with not an irrigation system in sight. I read that they get enough rain throughout the season that they don't need to. They just rely on Mother Nature. That seems like a might stressful, but cheaper, way to farm if you ask me. I guess it works though, there will be corn a'plenty this summer!
2. Though the dry air does a number on my hair and skin, I prefer it to the heavy humidity. Good thing I live in Oregon where it is a perfect blend of air humidity!
3. Colorado has quickly moved up my list of favorite states to visit. It just may be vying for the top spot over South Dakota!

















1 comment:
Amazing trip!!! You and your family have seen the beauty of this gorgeous country first hand-from God’s creations to man made.
As you are wiping the tears when you see signs for Portland, just remind yourself you and Paul gave your kids more than most could have ever done��
Post a Comment