Sunday, November 30, 2008

Whirlwind Weekend

As I said in my previous post, we spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday with Paul's family. We got home Friday evening and took down all the Thanksgiving decorations and started to put up some Christmas ones. Saturday morning we were up and out on the search for the perfect Christmas tree. We found a great place out in Goble that has u-cut trees, and we can get any sized noble fir for $20. That's good because we like them big! We walked around in the mist till we all settled on one, and since it was so big we had to have the guy working there cut it down with his chain saw. Then we borrowed the muscles of a couple other guys to get the tree on top of the car. Once home, Paul had the bright idea of hosing the tree off to get rid of the mud and dead needles. Worked great. We have a nice clean tree! My ornaments are just a mix with no real theme. I have a few Scarlett O'Hara keepsake ornaments but I think the rest have been given to us over the years. I put tinsel on my tree because it reminds me of our trees while I was growing up. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone else put it on their's. Is it a dying art form? Oh well, I like it.









Once we had our tree up and the lights on it, the OSU-U of O Civil War football game started. I am sorry to report that this tree trimming experience will probably be one of those that scar my children for life. They will always have memories of what a terrible time we had while mom and dad were screaming and yelling at their losing football team, instead of enjoying the spirit of Christmas and decorating the tree as a family. The tree was eventually finished, as were the Beavers' hopes of making it to the Rose Bowl, and apologies were tossed around. I know its just a game, but it wasn't just a game. I have sat through soooo many sopping wet Oregon State football games where we got our heads handed to us, and finally this year it looked like you could actually admit to being a fan. Guess not. They decided to throw away an awesome season to the Ducks, of all teams, and ruin their chance at the Rose Bowl. I am still disgusted and feel like wallowing a bit longer before I let it go!
Today seemed to be just as busy, getting things back in order before another hectic week starts. December's calendar is filling up fast and I don't foresee a lot of down time. January can't get here soon enough!

5 comments:

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I am so excited to go tree shopping, I am definately feeling the Christmas spirit. Thanks for the tip on good trees. Love that photo of Drew and Paul.

Aundrea said...

Man, I wish we would've known about the place in Goble...oh well, next year! That is quite the "Clark Griswold" tree you picked out:) Your house is perfect for a tall tree!

We were very sad about OSU too, not that we are huge fans, but that we HATE Oregon so much:) and, that they've done so well this season. Bummer!

Michelle said...

Love your tree! And can I just say GO DUCKS!!!! We sadly missed the game, since we were on the road, but Fuller did manage to get a half time update from a man we met during a potty break. Hope you don't decide to ban me from your blog for being a duck fan;)

Anonymous said...

I think that place in Goble is where we went last year, and it WAS awesome! We plan to go back this weekend. I was so bummed, I really wanted to have ours up by today, but since Todd had shoulder surgery we have to wait for my parents to help out :) Hopefully by next weekend!

Nicole said...

That tree looks like a monster! I love sitting back at night, dimming the lights and just staring the Christmas tree all lit. It's relaxing and peaceful to me.