Thursday, December 4, 2008

Reading List

I picked up this list from my library when I was a firefighter and I had a lot of down time sitting in my fire truck waiting for a fire to spark! There are at least 150 classic literature books listed here and I only have 6 left I think. They are proving difficult to find but I am determined to finish this list. There are some great books here, and some not-so-great but are must-reads anyway. I'm referring to Hemmingway, I am not a fan of his. Have fun reading and expanding your literary mind! I have put an asterisk next to the books I really enjoyed.

Adams - Watership Down
Adamson - Born Free
Alcott - Little Women
Anderson - Winesburg, Ohio
Austen - Emma
Austen - Pride and Prejudice *
Baldwin - Go Tell It On The Mountain
The Bible
Boulle - The Bridge Over the River Kwai *
Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles
Bronte - Jane Eyre
Bronte - Wuthering Heights
Buck - The Good Earth
Bunyan - The Pilgrim’s Progress
Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
Camus - The Plague
Camus - The Stranger
Carroll - Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Cather - Death Comes For the Archbishop
Cather - My Antonia
Cervantes - Don Quixote
Chaucer - The Canterbury Tales *
Clarke - 2001; A Space Odyssey
Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Conrad - Lord Jim
Cooper - The Last of the Mohicans
Crane - The Red Badge of Courage
Dana - Two Years Before the Mast
Defoe - Robinson Crusoe
Dickens - A Christmas Carol
Dickens - David Copperfield
Dickens - Great Expectations *
Dickens - Oliver Twist
Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities
Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Doyle - Sherlock Holmes (Several Titles)
Dreiser - Sister Carrie
Drury - Advise and Consent
Du Marier - Rebecca *
Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo *
Dumas - The Man in the Iron Mask
Dumas - The Three Musketeers
Eliot - The Mill on the Floss
Eliot - Silas Marner *
Faulkner - The Sound and the Fury
Ferber - Cimarron
Fielding: Tom Jones
Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby
Flaubert - Madame Bovary
Forbes - Johnny Tremain
Forsyth - The Day of the Jackal
Gilbreth - Cheaper by the Dozen
Golding - Lord of the Flies *
Greenberg - I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
Grey - Riders of the Purple Sage
Griffin - Black Like Me
Hardy - The Mayor of Casterbridge
Hardy - The Return of the Native
Hardy - Tess of the D’Ubervilles *
Hawthorne - The House of the Seven Gables
Hawthorne - The Scarlet Letter
Heller - Catch-22
Hemingway - A Farewell to Arms
Hemingway - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Hemingway - The Old Man and the Sea
Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises
Herbert - Dune
Herriot - All Things Bright and Beautiful
Hersey - Hiroshima
Hesse - Siddhartha
Hilton - Lost Horizon
Homer - The Illiad
Homer - The Odyssey
Hudson - Green Mansions
Hugo - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hugo - Les Miserables *
Huxley - Brave New World
James - The Turn of the Screw
Joyce - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Kafka - The Metamorphosis
Keyes - Flowers for Algernon
Kesey - One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Kipling - The Jungle Book
Knowles - A Separate Peace
Lawrence - Sons and Lovers
Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird *
Lewis - Arrowsmith
Lewis - Babbitt
Lewis - Elmer Gantry
Lewis - Main Street
London - The Call of the Wild
Malory - King Arthur (Several Titles) *
Maugham - Of Human Bondage
McCullers - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Melville - Billy Budd
Melville - Moby Dick
Mitchell - Gone With the Wind ******
Nordhoff - Mutiny on the Bounty *
Orczy - The Scarlet Pimpernel
Orwell - 1984
Pasternak - Doctor Zhivago
Paton - Cry, The Beloved Country
Plath - The Bell Jar
Rawling - The Yearling
Remarque - All Quiet on the Western Front
Roberts - The Northwest Passage *
Rolvaag - Giants in the Earth
Rostand - Cyrano De Bergerac
Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye *
Saroyan - The Human Comedy
Scott - Ivanhoe
Shelley - Frankenstein
Shute - On the Beach *
Sinclair - The Jungle
Solzhenitsyn - A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Spark - The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath
Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men
Steinbeck - The Pearl
Steinbeck - The Red Pony
Stevenson - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Stevenson - Kidnapped
Stevenson - Treasure Island
Stoker - Dracula *
Stowe - Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Swift - Gulliver’s Travels
Thackery - Vanity Fair
Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings Trilogy *
Tolstoy - War and Peace *
Tolstoy - Anna Karenina *
Turgenev - Fathers and Sons
Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Twain - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Twain - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
Twain - Life on the Mississippi
Verne - Around the World in 80 Days
Virgil - The Aeneid
Voltaire - Candide
Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five
Walker - The Color Purple
Warren - All the King’s Men
Wells - The Invisible Man
Wells - The Time Machine
Wells - The War of the Worlds
Wharton - Ethan Frome
White - The Once and Future King
Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray
Wilder - The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Williams - The Glass Menagerie
Wister - The Virginian
Wolfe - Look Homeward Angel
Wouk - The Caine Mutiny
Wright - Native son

3 comments:

Gina said...

Wow - that is a pretty impressive reading list. I'll have to try reading some of those books. I usually go for the easier reading type books, but I should expand my mind and try reading more of the classics. I do love the book "To Kill a Mockingbird" I noticed you had that one starred.

Aundrea said...

Holy Crap! That is quite the list! Good job with only having 6 more to go. I'll have to give some of them a try.

Nicole said...

That is quite the accomplishment! I'm impressed.