Saturday, April 23, 2016

Basketball!

Just as a side note, we had one snow event this season.  Of course it was the day before we were supposed to head back to school from winter break so we missed that Monday.  Would have been great except the district has now decided we need to make up that one missed day.  School doesn't get out till June 17th!

Basketball was tons of fun this year!  I coached Darcy's 1/2 team which was made up of both boys and girls so there would be lots of teams to play.  I thought it might cause problems with passing the ball to the girls but I never had to address the issue with my team.  They were great.  Fun kids to work with.  We ended the season with as many wins as losses, but who's counting?  Drew was my manager/assistant coach so she kept track for me.  Darcy had so much fun that she told me after the season that she never wants to stop playing basketball.  That's my girl!  She played tenacious defense and made more than one little person mad at her.  Oh well!  She's getting tall for her age so she was able to get in there and battle with just about everyone.  Next year she gets to play on the full court with regulation basketball and hoop heights.  She is totally ready.  I love to watch Darcy play and I'm thankful I was able to be her coach again this season.   Paul and Bree were awesome again getting everyone where they needed to be for the games.  At times we would have to split up to watch games in different gyms at the same time but we managed.
 








 Mason was mostly a post player this year but was actually the point guard in one game.  I LOVE to watch him play.  He is such a smart player on defense.  He just gets where he is supposed to be on the court and its fun to watch him.  His team only won 1 game all season and it happened to be on the last day.  It also happened to be his break-out game.  He scored 12 of his team's 16 points!   I even got to see that game!  It was a tough season, always losing, but man I admired his attitude.  He went out there and worked hard every single game, no matter the score.  I totally admire his work ethic and attitude.  I don't think basketball is his favorite sport but he is pretty good and I hope he gives it a chance.    









 Drew played her last season of Rec ball.  Sigh!  Next year she will be in middle school and traveling to games.  She had a great season too!  Her team only lost 1 game.  I stopped keeping track of her points after the first game.  I couldn't count that high!  She is the point guard and faster than most girls out there so she had countless lay-ins because she actually knows how to shoot them right and use the backboard.  Go Drew!  I was not involved in coaching her this year, which was weird, but she had a good coach and learned quite a bit this year.  Her good friend who is very tall played on the same team so it was fun to watch Drew feed her underneath for lay-in after lay-in.  They were an unstoppable duo!  They will be fun to watch in the future.  Drew plans to play basketball at Oregon State.  We'll see.   I'd like to say it gets easier with her on a travel team next year but Bree will be able to play so that means trying to juggle 4 kids' game and practice schedules.  Only for basketball!







No comments: