Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Fall Sports 2015

What a stud!  Mason decided to take football this year.  Full pads, tackle football for the 3rd and 4th grade team.  I wasn't sure when I signed him up last spring if he knew what he was getting into, but we told him he had to stick it out all season, even if he hated it.  The first week of practice he hated it!  It was hot, he was out of shape, and they were working hard without pads and helmets.  It wasn't what he envisioned football to be.  He never mentioned quitting but he did say one time that he wasn't going to play next year.  I thought it would be a LONG season if that was his attitude.  But once they started practicing in pads, hitting each other, the weather cooled, and he got in better shape he really loved it.  And I loved it too!  I think the fact that our Bishop from church was his coach and lots of his friends were playing too helped his attitude.  We didn't let him play last year partly because I didn't want to devote my life to football at such an early age, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Even sitting at the field for practices was fun and I missed it all when it was over on Halloween.  My other reason I didn't want him starting so early was the fear of him getting hit hard, but that was never an issue.  None of the boys hit all that hard from what I could see, but then I wasn't the one taking the hits.  Mason played Left Guard on offense and Left Tackle on defense.  He would play entire games except for the kick offs.   Except for the game or two when he was demoted due to lack of effort.  But he worked himself back into starting.   It was so much fun to watch these little guys play like the big boys.  My favorite thing was to see him in his 3 point stance.  It cracked me up every time.  What a great season.  They ended up 3-5 and had some exciting games.  I can hardly wait for next season!


 
Drew took 4-H Cross Country again.  She had a good friend who ran this year and I think that made it much more enjoyable for her.  She and her friend were content to run at the back of the pack but I think every picture I took of her had her smiling.  Who needs to win when you're having so much fun just being out there.  I enjoy watching these races too.  The weather is always beautiful and I love that my kids are gaining an appreciation of running.
Darcy and Bree tried their legs at a few races also.  3 of the 4 I think.  Darcy came in first for the girls in her first race and received a blue ribbon.  Bree came in 4th and did not receive any ribbon.  Oh the drama!  She didn't care what place she was in, she just wanted a darn ribbon!  And then Darcy was so funny, she wanted different colored ribbons, not just blue!  I think we ended up with a red 2nd place and green participation ribbon for Bree, and Darcy earned 2 blue ribbons and a white 3rd place.  Both of these girls were fun to watch.  You could see their determination written on their faces.  I love their competitive nature along with their sweet personalities.  We have some fun athletic events to look forward to in the future with all our kids.  I can hardly wait!
 
 

No comments: