Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Basketball 2013-14

 Basketball season started in November and my intent was to coach only Drew's 3/4 grade girls team.  Well, Mason's coach for his 1/2 grade boys team didn't have an assistant and since I knew I would be at every one of his practices and games, I volunteered to be the assistant coach for his team.  I had fun working with the younger boys.  They are full of energy but really willing to listen to what we had to teach them.  Well, all but my own son that is.  He would listen fine to Coach Crystal but when it came to Coach Mom he pretty much closed his ears.  I guess he has enough of me trying to correct his actions at home, he wasn't about to take it on the basketball court too.  That's OK though, at least now I know I can never volunteer to be his head coach.  Duly noted.  Mason improved immensely from last season.  He is a darn good defender anyway but his dribbling and shooting skills really improved.  He actually got the team award for most improved shooting.  He played hard and I'm always proud of the effort he puts out.  I think the funnest part of the game for him is just getting to hang out and play with other boys, something he never gets to do at home, poor guy.  I'm hoping as he gets older and has more sporting options available to him he will stick with basketball.  Not only for his sake but for mine.  I enjoy sitting in a nice, dry, climate controlled gym as opposed to outside in the northwest weather for the spring and fall sports :)


 I was prepared to coach Drew's team since I had coached the same age level last year.  I love the girls at this age and development.  They pretty much know how to play basketball, its just refining their skills.  We saw so much progress in our team over the season.  I had a really great group of girls and enjoyed them all.  They were all very willing to listen to my directions and they will probably have dreams of "USE THE BACKBOARD!" for the rest of their lives.  They were also a bit squirrely at times but that's what makes it fun?  Drew's goal entering the season was to make 20 baskets, which was huge since she only made maybe 5 last year.  She ended up making 17 and was the highest scorer for our team.  Drew is awesome to have on a team.  She is so eager to soak up information and achieve things to the utmost of her ability that she had no problem listening to instructions, even if they were coming from mom.  I have a great time coaching her and I hope she feels the same.  Next year she will be in the 5/6 grade girls level and I'm not sure how I feel about coaching that age group.  I will have to think about that.  Also, Darcy will be able to play and I think it might be best if I sign up to coach her team.  We'll see though.  For the foreseeable future I believe Drew is sticking with basketball and that makes me a very happy mom, if it makes for a very happy Drew!  Now we are waiting to hear from Darcy's t-ball coach and Mason's baseball coach so we can get the spring sports started.  Darcy is a little wary of playing but I know once she gets into the "swing" of things she will be fine!

No comments: