Monday, May 21, 2012

Uninvited Guests

Last Sunday I went out at dusk to water my garden and I heard a loud buzzing.  I looked over at the fence and found a swarm of bees trying to huddle into a mass for the night.  Paul called my dad who told us to leave them alone and they might fly away the next day.  Well, they didn't.  I called a few places and found a local man who would come get the swarm for free.  He was a hoot!  An older guy from Minnesota who desperately needed someone new to talk to I think.  He stood there in the sweltering heat with me for 2 hours talking about literally everything under the sun.  It was fun.  I may not have agreed with all his opinions but I had a good time.  I also learned alot about bees.
He had a burlap sack to collect the bees in.  I guess once the queen is in there all the rest will follow her in.  Kind of reminded me of me and my kids ;)

The bee man had a knife and just lightly scraped the mass of bees down to the grass where they all just WALKED into the bag!  It was crazy!  Very interesting to watch.  Mason and Darcy sat outside and watched it too.  There were a few bees flying around but they weren't interested in messing with us or the bee man.  He was able to get almost all of them into the bag, which he tied off with a rubber band, collected a few more bees on the outside of the bag, and then put the bag in the back seat of his car to take home!  Now that is a real man if you can drive with a swarm of bees in your car, some of them loose!  No thanks!
Unfortunately he left a few more than we would have liked and they didn't want to leave either.  By this time the novelty had worn off for me and I just wanted the bee drama done!  Paul got all dressed up and sadly we sprayed the remaining bees from the swarm.  It was an interesting experience but hopefully it won't happen again.

1 comment:

Shannon b said...

this is just so crazy! I showed your FB picture to Scott (who's number 1 fear is bees) and he flinched and had to look away! :) I'm glad that you got everything taken care of. Phew!