Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mason's New Accessory

 So to pick up where I left off on my last post, I had been home from Utah for two hours Monday morning and in the middle of my Jillian Michael's Body Revolution work-out, when I got a call from the grade school.  Thank heaven for small miracles - those work-outs are hard!  The secretary was calling to let me know that Mason was complaining of a sore arm after a fall at recess.  So I got redressed and threw the girls in the car to check on my baby.  I walked into the nurse's office and saw Mase for the first time in 4 days.  The poor little guy's eyes filled with huge tears that rolled down his face when he saw me.  My poor sweetheart.  I asked him how it happened (slipping off the wet monkey bars) and if it still hurt.  He said no until I made him swish his arm in the air and then he said ow.  He said it felt like a million bees stinging him.  The nurse and I didn't like the way his arm looked like it had a dent in it so I took him to urgent care.  Luckily it was a slow day there so we were in and out in record time.  The diagnosis was a broken radius bone in the right arm.  Since the pediatrician there doesn't do casts, we had an appointment for Wednesday in Portland to get his cast done.  That meant 2 whole days of just a splint and sling.  I kept him home from school Tuesday and Wednesday because I figured he would inevitably bump his arm at school and hurt himself even worse.  Those were long days of sitting around for my active Mason.  Oh, he did manage to pull out a tooth Monday also, along with mommy coming home and the broken arm which all contributed to that being "the best day ever!"  I will never understand little boys.

Wednesday we took him to the pediatric doc to get his cast.  There were a million colors to choose from and I was trying to convince him to go with orange or black but he chose red so it would match his Captain America Halloween costume.  The doctor was pretty funny and she said he couldn't do anything he considered fun for the 3 weeks he has to have a cast.  He can help with laundry though, she specifically said so.  She also told him to eat lots of ice cream and broccoli - together, to help his bones heal.  He didn't know what to make of the crazy doctor.  We made sure to stop at Safeway to stock up on ice cream on the way home.  I asked him if I could sign the cast or did he want to keep it clean.  He said he wanted to keep it clean but if the kids "who are fans of mine" want to sign it at school he will let them.  Gee thanks.  I talked him into letting me sign it this morning and I signed it right on the palm where he will be sure to see it any time he does anything with that hand.  I also sent him to school with a black Sharpie so I expect it to be full of names when he gets home today.  Unfortunately he broke his right arm which will cause some problems but he should heal up in no time.  I think he sees this as an adventure and I hope the novelty doesn't wear off too soon for him or its going to be tough to keep him inactive for 3 weeks.  I'm very thankful it wasn't worse than it was and he is taking it all so well.  This is our first broken bone to deal with as parents and it hasn't been as traumatic as I thought it would be . . . knock on wood.

1 comment: